Holy Spirit, Shower Upon Me...



At the beginning of the growing season, I splurged on a handy-dandy, six-setting nozzle for my water hose. Pardon me, as I must breathlessly, with flushed cheek, exclaim that it has changed my gardening life forever! I'll never again be without this fantastic accessory.


I have found that every setting is important. Each satisfying "click" of the end of the nozzle, with its descriptive label, has a distinct use in the garden.


Isa 58:11 And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden...


We are in a drought here in East Tennessee. And having thriving, well-watered gardens means a whole lot more than turning on a water hose, hooking your thumb on the opening for pressure-control, and "having at it". Various parts of the garden need various watering applications. Different plants need different watering technique. Sometimes the way a garden needs watering can be unique to the time of day. You don't want to throw water on everything in the heat of the afternoon sun.


And thus He waters me. Carefully. Thoughtfully. Thoroughly. Not too much (it runs off, not soaking my roots), not too little (I wither). Differently, each day. Sometimes a long drink. Other times, a quick, freshening mist. After all, He is the master-gardener, and I am His garden.


The other day, just for fun, I spun the dial on my handy-dandy, gidget-gadget water-nozzle-tool, and imagined each setting as a God-thing. What if....oh, what if....the Holy Spirit visited me, according to my need, and imparted to me:


a mist - ..."there went up a mist from the earth, refreshing the whole face of the ground..."


a shower - ...and there shall be showers of blessing....


a soaking - (in answer to prayer, ) "Gideon rose up early on the morrow, and thrust the fleece together, and wringed the dew out of the fleece, a bowl full of water."


a rinse - "wash me throughly from mine iniquity...


a bucket filler - "and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began speaking in tongues..."


a power wash (!) - "That he might sanctify and cleanse (the church) with the washing of water by the word..."


I went as far as my imagination dared, and still be within the boundaries of Biblical exegesis. I confess, watering my garden has never been a dull chore since!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, let me try this again! I left a comment but it went into outer space somewhere. Could be that it ran away with the mop bucket. Sorry, I could not resist!
Is it not awesome the way the Lord speaks to us and show's us such wonderful things even when we are just doing the day!
I just love talking to Him as if he was standing in the room with me. Oh, thats right I am the temple of the Holy spirit arent I...Jesus is right with me where ever I am..there is *No* hidding place. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa who..
Oh by the way I like you water gaget attachment. Way to cool.
Hey dont thank me for posting on here. I just love this, being able to see a part of your world, its like we visit almost daily and have a hot cup of coffee together. Keep it up my dear, this is a very happy spot of my day.

Love Vickie E

Sheila Atchley said...

That is such a specific answer to specific prayer. All I am doing, is trying to create what I have always looked for, and needed in a blog. I need a place of encouragement and peace and somewhere I can be inspired. I want my blog to be a place where someone can sip coffee and relax. Much like the Mitford books give people a "home town"....I want my blog to make others hunger for a "home church" and for "home life" in general.

I can't help but thank you for commenting. My blog is finally "google-able"! It shows up when you google my name and the name of my blog! YEAY!