One of Life's Joys ~



This is our puppy. Two pounds of fuzzy fury, named Rambo. He's a silver teacup poodle, and has, with a sweep of his paw, changed the tenor of our household since he came. My manly husband melts into a smiling boy, each afternoon as he comes home from work. Rambo fills the void left by small children, who used to crowd the glass door every day when daddy came home. Now they are grown, and almost always gone when he drives up into our steep driveway. Our youngest son Isaac might be home, but he no longer squeals and jumps up and down, arms waving, yelling, "Daddy's home!!!"

He's going on sixteen, you see.


But the puppy senses when dad is on his way to home and hearth. I guess it is the daily phone call I get, "Hi Beautiful! I'm on my way home. Need anything?" (No lie. Every day. I am a blessed woman. It so rocks to be me!) Rambo must be able to observe and understand my voice and tone, whenever it is Tim, telling me he is headed this way. That itty silver bit of soft fluff will always skitter to the front glass door, and watch until he sees the old green mini van pull up.


Then, he jumps up and down, twirls, and barks loudly. There's no way around it ~ he has to be saying, "Pappa's home! Pappa is home!" That is not a stretch, nor is it overly imaginative. That is pure fact. It is a fact that never fails to put a smile on my husband's face, even on the worst of days.

In the words of a pastor's wife friend of mine, from rural Virginia, who met Rambo not long ago....(imagine a soft, southern drawl):


"This doggy's a gift from God."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace."
~Milan Kundero

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sheila, I about spit my drink out when I saw the picture of Rambo on the chair. LOL, he is to cute and so funny sitting there. Reminds me of a stuffed animal with his back feet spread out like that...LOL
I had a bundle of Apricot Poodle growing up. He use to just know the right time my Mom would come home from work and be standing at the door waiting...they are such smart dogs.
Tim and Rambo are so cute together and so funny...To see them in the Match box car together!!!!!
Yes, my dear you are a blessed woman of God and I know it rocks to be you...Keep on rockin!!!
Love you
Vickie

Sheila Atchley said...

Vickie, it always makes me smile when Tim takes Rambo "to work". I always ask, "Did Vickie get to see him??"

I guess I just know you. You are the type to have a soft spot for cute puppies. *grin* (Vickie is our church secretary! She gets the "joy" of seeing Rambo come to the office, now and then. HA!)

The picture of him on the arm of the couch is my favorite. It is hilarious...

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh, what a personality! And that 'back in the saddle again' pose on the arm of the chair is priceless! Rambo is *almost* the spitting image of "Pooh", our beloved cockapoo [whose father was a poodle and she obviously 'took after him' in the doggy genetics department]. So I am staring at Rambo's precious doggy self and remembering my own Furry Fury in the form of Pooh, Bravest Small Dog in the world, who would charge-to-attack the black Chow, Panda, who lived next door, knowing that the chain link fence between our yards was her best ally and safety net! LOVE the quotes, of course!
loveU and love to Rambo, too!

Anonymous said...

TOOOOO CUTE!!!! : )

Love the pictures of dear little Rambo!


Love you dearly,
Wendy

Anonymous said...

That is one of the cutest pictures I've seen! You should send it in to a magazine or something! Elaine

Liz Overton said...

Those pictures of Rambo are absolutely adorable! He is so cute!

Justin said...

I so love Rambo Beanie: )) And, especially because he loves dad so much... BUT! I'm his second favorite! I know it.