In the Red Zone


Are you in the "Red Zone"? You need know it, if you are. You need to learn how to play through the pressure. You are "this close" to your objective. The opposition becomes close and personal. This season of life has come down to these few yards - some single decision or diagnosis or dilemma, or simply a series of final months or days between you and your outcome. You either play it all the way through, or quit and exit the field. There is no room left for your enemies - always more than one - to put any distance between them and you, so you can now see the very whites of their eyes. Every play counts, every down counts, every breath you draw counts.



Yeah...I'm a football fan. I see a lot of metaphors in the game.


I heard something today that gave me pause. A well-known commentator, and a former football player himself, said, "When you get to the Red Zone, it becomes all about attitude. The Red Zone is a mindset. The best plays, the cleverest plans, won't do a thing for you. You need a play. You need a plan. But more often than not, you end up having to trash it, because the Red Zone is an emergency. You have to be determined to break through, by any means. Any team without this determination will fail in the Red Zone."


Where, in life, are you "this close"? Are you about to graduate from college? Very close to graduating your last child from high school? Is the wedding a mere week away? Is the chemo almost over? The project near completion? Is your job about to take a turn for the better? Is your career one achievement away from taking off? Is that prodigal just one year away from coming home? (I can smell the BBQ already...and you'd better invite me to the party!)


Don't stop praying. Don't stop believing God. By any means, just don't stop what you are doing.


Life in the Red Zone is no longer so much about well-laid plans, as it is about being determined to break through and finish what was begun. It is the most physical, most draining, yet also the most exhilarating and exciting part. Dig in. Set your face like a flint. Move forward, no matter what.


The only thing worse than quitting in the Red Zone, would be to not know you are in it.




7 comments:

Unknown said...

This was the perfect message for me today. Thank you, Sheila. Tenacity and simple "guts", I am learning, are two of the most important facets of trusting the Lord. Endurance is neccesary. Courage is a requirement. And the determination to push through the defense line toward the goal, no matter what, can totally determine the victory. Your blog today is awesome.

Liz Overton said...

This post was really encouraging. Thanks for sharing!

jame said...

It struck me when you said, "You may not know your there." Referring to the redzone.The time when you are to be the most couragest and you not see it and walk away. You lost everything the Father had for you in that moment.
Man! I am going to chew on this. I don't want to ever walk away or give up on something that God has for me. An attitude of digging in, planting your cleets in the turf and pushing through, through to the other side. Wow, being that close to the fulfilled promise.
This has pumped me up and has encouraged me in the "good fight."
Thank you for the encouragment.

Chris Welch - 07000INTUNE said...

Your last 2 attitude posts are so excellent.
As regards the last about faithfulness...Christine and I have been watching a BBC series discovering the family trees of various celebs. called "Who do you think you are." So many have Jewish roots. So the stories lead back to Russia, or Poland , or Germany...the pogroms, the extermination camps.
And I've been thinking ...all the centuries of efforts poured into businesses and localities, simply ripped up in a moment...forcing relocation. But , as is so evident, not a shred of that faithful diligence was wasted...because it was all somehow assimilated into the family's history, which then projected through into the successes of the next generations.
All the failure...was only apparent.
The real wealth. The real success. was attitude. Which was internal. And was then transmitted to the next generations.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I am hype now Ready ! LETS DO IT! WOW! This was so great, to speak to so many different season or even life styles at once. You got it.
Love you
Angel

Hannah Nichole Atchley said...

Oh boy do I know that I'm in it after reading that post. Thank you! IT was just what I needed this morning... that extra umph that it takes to day.. Darn right I'll get through it!

Anonymous said...

Fight through...stand up...go for it...it is finished..I heard this from the Lord a few months ago. Even when I am draned completely the Lord takes over and will NOT let me give up..I must admit sometimes I want to but just as soon as that comes to mind I say out loud NO WAY!! I will fight until my last breath. Only in the Lord's strength can I stand!
Thank you Sheila for this encouraging word..so needed daily. I mean every second!!!
We shall overcome, we shall make it..there is nothing that can seperate us from the love of God! Nothing
Vickie E