To Be In Christ

It is a profound thing, to be "in Christ". Christ is in me, and I am in Christ Jesus. "I in you, and you in me", to use the very words of Jesus. He said, "Abide in me, and I in you...."

Swallowed up. Robed in His righteousness. Infused with His essence. Covered by His person. My former self removed and replaced. My new personality braided with His. Twined with Christ. Criss-crossed and woven, I in Him, Him in me, I in Him...

My future, integrated and assimilated into the purposes of God. No longer am I the one living. Buried with Christ, raised up in Him. My self, concealed and diminished. My life, indistinguishable from His, hidden away with Christ, in God.


I've often feared losing God's favor, as if favor were somehow obtained by human might and power. I doubt I am the only one who has ever worried that I have fallen out of Divine favor. Favor must be obtained, yes. To "obtain favor of the Lord" is Biblical. But I obtain favor from the Lord when I apprehend Christ and appropriate His righteousness.

To be in Christ is the only foundation for obtaining favor with God.

God's right hand is the only place of favor and blessing. "Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore." (Ps. 16:11)

Christ is forever the One seated at God's right hand. "But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God..." (Heb. 10:12)

My life is hidden in Him. Thus, I too am seated at that coveted place. "(God) hath raised us up together with Christ, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus..." (Eph. 2:6)

I'm not seated "with" Christ. I am seated "in" Him. Not by works of righteousness which I have done, but only by mercy do I obtain favor. Whatever pleasures are at the Father's right hand, whatever favor there is that flows to Him in whom the Father is well pleased, whatever approval is lavished upon the Son, whatever love bestowed from the Father's heart to Jesus; it all now belongs to me as well.

I in Him, Him in me, I in Him...

3 comments:

Matt Bailey said...

What a simple concept, to abide in Christ, yet how we lose sight of it! It seems Jesus is beginning to magnify Himself in the hearts at Harvest Church ever increasingly, causing us to leave behind our childishness and grow in the knowledge and grace of Him. How liberating!

Sheila Atchley said...

Matt, I believe we are always losing sight of this simple thing - to be "in Christ". I pray that Christ be continually presented as Supreme in Harvest Church. Thanks to you and your wife, for taking such good care of our young people.

Grace and Peace!

Jamie said...

Marvelously said! Love it.