Golden and God-Kissed



A gift of a golden, God-kissed day
That began by finding it hard to say, "I'm unavailable for now"
And we laughed until it hurt.

A gift on a golden, God-kissed day
Of purple geode, pottery, poodle candle, probably a Shetland pony
Had I wanted one. But I'm too busy.


A gift through a golden, God-kissed day
Zipping horizontally, soaring, hilarious, precarious
Dead-serious about living while we're alive.


A gift by the means of a golden, God-kissed day
Of Mexican in the afternoon, ribeye at night
And disposable cups toasting prosperity of relationship.


A gift up a golden, God-kissed day
Sitting in suspended animation, holding his hand, sliding vertically,

Peering intently at Mt. LeConte, visualizing the Next Adventure.

A gift. One golden, God-kissed day.
Darts, fizz, sorry for those who are so religious they intimidate the Anti-Christ
Reveling in being together, nothing more.

If this was just one golden, God-kissed day
Just one pearl on a strand of many, what will a lifetime of days be?
The Lord says, "Very good."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah. To live a life with the Lord that is "very good." Absolutely dazzling.

Sheila Atchley said...

Thank you, Lesa. It has been a little while since I've tried my hand at poetry - at least a couple of years.

I so deeply want that little piece to reflect the "Normal Christian Life"...a life of such utter grace. Tim and I *live* in that place, and desperately want others to come along and "live the life" with us.

Jamie said...

Stringing a strand of beautiful days...displaying His goodness and mercy...finding joy in relationship...you have captured the sweetness of Life in Christ. You are a wise woman.

Blessings.

Sheila Atchley said...

Jamie, I enjoy your blog very much, for many reasons...I see so much of a kindred spirit. I'm not so sure I am wise, as much as I'm desperate for the peace and joy of God...and very much wanting to have some FUN.

I said to a dear friend awhile back, "We just wanna have fun, and in the process, God keeps making us do stuff."

Well...you had to be there. It was good for a ::huge:: belly laugh, all around the dinner table, in the moment. It must have been the quirky and completely sincere way that I said it.

Speaking of football...MY team plays this evening. They are rrrrrreally bad this year (Those Tennessee Vols) but hope springs eternal, and so I gather the chips and bean dip and get ready to yell at the officials and our coach...through the TV screen.

Jamie said...

I try not to even think about Davidson football. ;)

Ryan went to NC State; we can always fall back on them. :)

But basketball..."Sweet Caroline..."

Javamom said...

Beautifully stated. Lovely pottery, too, btw :-)

I resemble your pain and hope for your team (grin). Our Cowboys are having the strangest year in a long time.