Words Fitly Spoken

If you can, it is always best to read poetry out loud. Whisper, if you must, but hear these words audibly...they are musical, full of cadence and rich layers of meaning. And by the way...the word "reck" in line four, means "reckon"...think about...consider the authority and greatness of God.

Gerard Manley Hopkins has always been one of my favorite poets (if not THE favorite...but oh, there are so many good poets!) and this particular piece represents his best work, and whenever I read it, it gives me that totally happy, satisfied-filled feeling, right in the center of my belly...

The Grandeur of God

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs -
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.
--Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844-89)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
Such beautiful words!! Ah. I do so love good poetry!

jul said...

very beautiful! I too always read poetry out loud if I can!

Unknown said...

It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
Dear Sheila - what is a "shook foil"?! giggle...

And this is my favorite - probably wrought from Genesis 1...
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent World broods.
I love that the creativity of God broods over the world - over nations - over hearts of men and women - both those who know Him and those who WILL know Him!
Beautiful poem.

Sheila Atchley said...

Hi Jul!!! I think God must love poetry, too, since so much of the Bible was written as just that! (Hmmmmm...no wonder I like to read the Scriptures aloud as well!)

Thanks for stopping by...