...And The Evening and The Morning Were The First Day...

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. (Ge. 1: 5)

From the Genesis of the sun, moon, earth, and human kind, God set it in place that each day is to begin at sundown. We think of a day as beginning each morning, just before or as the sun comes up. How very human of us...to believe that the day starts with our own conscious effort, and must needs end when we fall asleep. Not so, in God's schedule. On His clock (and accurately believed by practicing Jews), the day begins when we reach the end of our human energy, the sun goes down, and we stop to rest.

I watched the sun sink behind the trees this night. The sky was a water color masterpiece of pastel softness. Puffs of clouds dotted the horizon, and a natural sense of peace began to settle across my heart. I have always been drawn to this, my very favorite time of day. I try not to miss a sunset. I like to believe that my love for "the golden hour" of sunset has both spiritual and philosophical implications. Grace is put on vivid display, every single day at sundown. When my work is done, when I am finished, God is just getting started.

The day begins just as "I" end. Through no effort of my own, and in fact when I go to sleep, the Father is unfolding His plan for the next 24 hours, going before me into the already-new day, accomplishing His objective. God gives to His beloved, even in her sleep, the Psalm says.

Dear one! Go to sleep tonight. Rest. Lay your head upon your pillow, knowing that it is a new day, and all of heaven is going into motion on your behalf, and you needn't do a thing but close your eyes.

Now the hand of the LORD was upon me in the evening... (Ez. 33: 22)

3 comments:

Donna-Jean Breckenridge said...

Beautiful! As always.

Praying for your Sunday - knowing God is unfolding it all, even as we sleep :-)

Jamie said...

Simply luminous.

Thank you. In the craziness, I forget sometimes.

Chris Welch - 07000INTUNE said...

sorry have not read this yet.We're back from Christmas in Austria by coach. Saw some stuff....wow wow wow.More on the blog. Just wanted to thank you for your kind Hitchihker comments etc. I left a bit more on Dan's comments section.
Happy New Year 2009