Engagement Chicken?!

"Engagement Chicken" - (cherries not part of the recipe. I've just been snackin' on 'em.)

I'm making "Engagement Chicken" just now. I'm hoping my Tim will be smitten all over again, and propose.

::chortle::

Seriously, this recipe is huge, here in the US, and single girls by the dozens are swearing by it, saying it'll get you the man you want. (Go on and google it - you'll see!)

I already have the man I want, but I also want to keep him interested. So "Engagement Chicken" it is. I have to be honest, however. I have my own recipe for roasted chicken - a Rosemary Roasted Chicken - complete with fresh snipped rosemary from my herb garden. Tim loves it very much, and I am zealously suspect of any roasted chicken recipe in which you do not rub olive oil all over the outside of said bird.

Nevertheless, here is the recipe for the famed "Engagement Chicken". Easy, easy - that is partly why I am giving it a try:

Preparing the Engagement Chicken Recipe
1 whole chicken
2 medium size lemons
1/2 cup lemon juice
sea salt
ground black pepper

Recipe Preparation:
First you will want to preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Make sure that you wash the whole chicken inside and out with water and remove all the gibbets. Let the chicken drain out cavity down in a colander until it reaches room temperature. This process can take 10-15 minutes. Next you will want to pour lemon juice over the entire whole chicken which is in and outside of it. Next, go ahead and season it with the salt and pepper to your liking. Next prick the lemon 3 times with a sharp fork and place deep inside the cavity.

The next step is to place the chicken breast side down on the rack in a roasting pan, and then lower the heat to 350 degrees. The oven rack should be placed in the upper part of the oven. Cook the chicken and bake it uncovered for 15 minutes. Next remove the bird from the oven and flip it over and cook for about 35-40 minutes longer. You will want to check the thermometer inserted in the thigh so it reads at least 180 degrees or juices should run if pricked with a sharp object. Finally once the engagement chicken is done cooking, let it cool for about 5 minutes and then serve with the juices.


Update:

Tim called just now. I forgot...it is DATE NIGHT.

::whoooooot whoooooot::

He is taking me out to "Amerigo's" for Italian. It is time to use up some holiday gift cards! The chicken's in the oven - but the kids can have it.

I'm off to attempt Great Hair and a Well-Accessorized Outfit, with a smidge of eyeliner and some dangle-y earrings. I'll keep him interested that-a-ways, at least for now. Engagement Chicken be hanged, I'm having Caesar salad and something decadent in the way of grilled red meat, this night.

Ain't God good?

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Although I do you use the lemon, I'm with you on the oil and rosemary. But I pull the meat off after roasting and add egg noodles and carrots and celery for herbed roasted chicken noodle soup. :)

Here's to rare beef, great wine, and mature men!!

Sheila Atchley said...

Hon-ey! Backatcha, on that toast. Mature, Godly, honorable men - in whom our hearts can safely trust.

YOU and *I* are blessed.

I'm going to be tossing the carcass (sounds awful) into a huge stock pot today, with about 6 qts. water and carrots, celery, onion, and garlic to make stock.

Then, yep. Egg noodles. THe widest I can find.

I'm hungry already.

Waving some love to you, across state lines!