Wood Counters Are In...


(loving all things natural, ivory, white, cream, gray, toffee...)

My word for 2010 was create.


So far, it has definitely been the year to do exactly that. Among other things, it was my goal to redecorate my kitchen this summer. (In my mind, this meant changing the wall color, severely editing what was on display, and maybe a new throw rug...)



A terrible little incident sped up the timetable for the project. Still. The results far surpass what even I had in mind. If anyone is considering all butcher block counters, please allow me to encourage you to go for it. The maintenance is more than probably any other surface you can buy, including granite, but the warmth and understated elegance is well worth it. After all, "beauty is about maintenance".

I'd rather not have a surface in my kitchen that is quite literally "hard and cold". Give me warmth and patina and pleasantness.


excuse the crumbs...I don't style my pictures.




...the long view...



The coolest faucet ever!



close up...


I love this shot, so much. Two of my aprons, the antique dresser in the dining area, sunshine spilling in the window, the new faucet and porcelain sink, the wood counters, terra cotta tiles...all of it. This kitchen is exactly what I wanted. (Still don't have my knobs and drawer handles, but that can wait...)


Open shelving installed (not yet painted by yours truly...but built by my handyman, and lovingly installed last week...)


fun details - mercury glass spheres, which will be displayed year-round, and hung by velvet ribbons in the windowsill at Christmas time...the burlap basket that I gather things from my garden in...pothos plant, which grows even in low light...



More fun details...blue mercury glass and twine, the contrast of rustic and shiny, together in a glass trifle bowl...verse on the wall in shades of faded turquoise and ivory, with brown script...

So fun, and so satisfying, to come up with a design idea from scratch...and create!

6 comments:

MrsWendy said...

Oh. My. GOODNESS!!! Your new kitchen counters are LOVELY!! And the sink....BEAUTIFUL! The whole make over is just GORGEOUS! Can't wait to see it in person. :-)

Unknown said...

Everything is beautiful! I love your counters - very nice. I love wood, metal, tile, "natural" materials... and that kitchen faucet looks like the perfect tool to really nail someone in a water fight ;)

Kelly said...

Wow, how pretty! love how it all comes together :) simply lovely.

Faith said...

Your kitchen is beautiful!!! I've been waiting for you to post pictures since you said you were getting butcher block. I've long wanted butcher block counter tops (maybe with a slab of marble thrown in somewhere for making pastries...) For now I will have to live with peeling orange laminate countertops, the unfortunate downside of buying an old farmhouse last remodeled in the sixties. You've given me inspiration, though!

Sheila Atchley said...

Hi Faith!

Thanks for the thoughtful comment! In spite of the countertops you do not like - how GREAT that you have a little farmhouse! I'd love to see pictures.

Thank you, Maria, Wendy and Kelly. I love you! :-)

Dr. Kong said...

oh!! i find them !!