Mountain Moving Faith


A faith that moves mountains is simpler than you think. Jesus said it best, when He said, "...if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'be removed and cast into the sea'..."

A mountain represents a Present Problem. A mountain is a problem so looming, it chills you with its consuming shadow. A mountain is a problem that fills your field of vision, blocking out everything else. A mountain feels too big, and seems too urgent. It is an obstacle to living a peaceful and ordinary life.

But in Christ, you have been given a measure of mountain moving faith. The mysterious paradox of mountain moving faith is this: you aren't supposed to work it up.

You are supposed to speak to the mountain. In the case of mountain moving faith, actions speak louder than words. Your actions do all the talking, in fact.

First, you acknowledge your mountain. You let it be there - tall and daunting. Let it be every bit as unvanquishable as it is. This isn't mountain climbing faith you have, it is a faith that moves the mountain...it is a faith that allows you to live with the same joy you had before your mountain existed; the same joy as if your mountain did not exist. For all purposes in your life, this mountain is no longer in the way of anything God is able to accomplish.

Secondly, you do the next thing, without regard to the mountain. Let your actions do the talking - and your actions are declaring, "What mountain? Before my God you shall become a plain!"

Plan your weekly meals. Shop for the best ingredients. Kiss your spouse. Redecorate. Wash the car. Take a vacation. Do your job, every day. Obey God in the very next thing He says.

This is the critical thing - live! Keep calm, carry on. Really live, and do it smack-dab in full view of your mountain. The very act of living, of doing the next thing, is the faith-speak it takes to move the mountain!

And if simply living and doing the next thing seems too easy - you have never encountered a real mountain. When facing a real mountain, ordinary days seem impossible.

With God, all things are possible. Let your actions shout "Grace, grace!" to your mountain!

The Lord sent you here today so that I can tell you, when you "speak" to your mountain, there will come a day, not too far away, when suddenly you will feel the warmth of the sun. The chilling shadow will be gone. You will look up, and behold: the mountain is brought so low, it is at sea level! Gone!

And in its place will be a road. Proceed with great joy.


Every valley shall be exalted And every mountain and hill brought low; The crooked places shall be made straight And the rough places smooth...(Is. 40)

2 comments:

Kelly said...

love this!

Susan said...

Your post has reminded me of Psalm 84 - passing through the valley of Baca ... dug a well. Years ago we saw a video from an evangelist who spoke on this. "When I don't know what to do, I do what I do know to do. I'm going to pray, I'm going to read God's Word, and I'm going to praise Him through this journey."

I haven't emailed you yet -- God instead led me to this post. This is what I most needed at the end of this week. Sometimes we just have 'those days'. And I've had many of them this week!

I listened to a song today that I hadn't heard for a long time. It reminded me Who Is (Nicole C Mullen's "I Am") I Am, I was, I Am the One Who Is to come ... before and after, I'll still be what I am and what I was ... All that you need, All that you want ... I Am.

You are a blessing!