A Mind At The Mercy of Its Associations

What do these three images have in common?

A geometry triangle


Candy Corn...  (this picture is from the blog Organize Your Stuff  Now - check it out when you can, you'll enjoy it!)

and lastly, this ~



American Eagle men's jeans.

Yeah.  Tell me what these three images have in common.  Nothing, right?  There is no common link between these images in anyone's mind....except my youngest son's mind.

I was reviewing some Geometry with him the other day, prepping him for the ACT.  Halfway through, I could tell I'd lost his attention...so I paused, and sure enough he looked straight at me and said, "Mom...I need new clothes."

So I asked.  I shouldn't have.  But I asked.

"Please tell me, how did you get from Geometry to Clothes?"

He became embarrassed, and hemmed and haw'ed and finally confessed:

"I was paying attention, I promise!  But the triangle made me think of candy corn, and candy corn made me think of Halloween, and Halloween made me think of fall, and fall made me think of colder weather, and colder weather made me realize I don't have any fall or winter clothes that fit anymoreAnd I really want some new American Eagle jeans."

Not.  Even.  Kidding you.  That is what the boy said, word for word.  I just sat there, with my mouth hanging open, unable to say anything.

What must it be like, to live inside his head, every day?  Most importantly, where does he get it?

Which reminds me, I need to paint my toenails today.

5 comments:

Jonathan Trentham said...

HA! I saw the triangle, and I thought about Isaac, then I saw the Candy Corn, and I remembered how much Isaac loves the stuff, and then when I saw the AE Jeans, I KNEW this post would be about Isaac.

I've been around him so much that I think he's rubbed off on me. If I hadn't read through your post so fast, I bet I even could have made those same connections.

Which reminds me...

Unknown said...

Is it all right to admit that my mind works exactly the same as Isaac's???
It does - my poor husband can tell you ALL about it!
I am getting better about prefacing my mental wonderings before I just blurt out some off-the-wall topic...
At least I HOPE I'm getting better!

ADaughterAbidinginGrace said...

Mom,
Funny, Funny post.... however, when going to paint your toe nails remember: do one thing at a time... Your mind doesn't do so hot with the thinking triangle. When painting your toe nails. Think soley of painting your toe nails; not candles, not bath, not food, nothing but painting your toe nails...

ADaughterAbidinginGrace said...

Mom,
Funny, Funny post.... however, when going to paint your toe nails remember: do one thing at a time... Your mind doesn't do so hot with the thinking triangle. When painting your toe nails. Think soley of painting your toe nails; not candles, not bath, not food, nothing but painting your toe nails...

Kelly said...

LOL, that is so hilarious! The way we come to think of other things is mind boggling..I am sure we all have our own unique way of remembering things, I shall not embarrass myself :) I do good to remember things at all these days