Me, Interviewing Myself (!!)


I just finished reading a great article in one of my favorite design blogs, and one of the best features this month was an interview with a top-tier architect and designer. His soulful answers made me wish someone would interview me...I have a few really uber-cool thoughts too, after all.


Then, I realized...though it is the epitome of chutzpah, cheekiness, and bad taste, I could interview myself.


Why not?


The only problem is I can't write about what I am wearing. Usually, when a woman is interviewed, the writer talks about how she was ushered by the maid into Famous Woman's livingroom, where momentarily Famous Woman appeared, tanned and relaxed, wearing faded jeans, a casual Liberty of London cotton shirt, and the perfect Bottega Veneta sandals. Her hair is usually down around her shoulders, and whoever she is, she's almost always wearing a simple gold chain, and gold hoop earrings.


Me? I'm sporting a "My Son is a Marine" sweatshirt, reading glasses on top of my head, no makeup, and some garishly colorful socks. (jeans too, of course, but who cares...) Not the stuff of delightful, detailed description. But I can dream.


Let's get started. I'm going to ask me all the same questions that Mr. Architect Extraordinaire was asked...I'm thinking that, though my answers won't be nearly as global-chic as his, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.


"Sheila, what inspires you?"


Me: "Well, me, let me think....my home awash in candlelight, antique shops, book stores, old grave yards, and beautiful homes, and interesting people, real or imaginary."


"What color palette are you continually drawn to?"


Me: "Orange, paired with the perfect shade of turquoise blue against a neutral backdrop - also, here lately, that very preppy shade of kelly-ish green. This is both a sign and a wonder to me, because I don't know where it, the new love of green, comes from. Where does one find one's "likes" in life?"

(my answer is way more interesting than Mr. Famous Architect.)


"Where is your favorite vacation spot on earth?"


Me: "Wherever my husband and I are alone. Or Perdido Key. We used to stay in a condo there every year, an end unit, that was directly adjacent to a nature preserve. I woke up every morning overlooking the sunrise, the Gulf waters, and two miles of beach with absolutely nothing on it."


"How do you relax at the end of the day?"


Me: "Well, Miss Me, I love old 30's and 40's music. Ideally, it is the "blue hour", right after sunset, and the cicadas are chirping rhythmically, and Tim and I are taking a ride in the Barbie Jeep, Pandora radio on tap, followed by a glass of wine on the back porch. This is the time of day to think about the color of your children's eyes, how cute your puppy is, your grandson's smile, and all the cool things you have planned tomorrow."


"What do you serve when friends come to dinner?"


Me: "Something simple. We've been known to serve a couple of whole roasted rosemary chickens, roasted potatoes, a big salad or broiled asparagus, bread, and wine. Just that."


"Is there a book that has changed your life?"


Me: "Sorry to be so predictable, but the Bible. I marvel at the plan of God, from Genesis to Revelation, laid out as epic story and true masterpiece. Grace is a person, Jesus Christ - and Grace is a plan, and Grace is a perfect wonder to me."


"What is your idea of perfect happiness?"


Me: "A houseful of people, my grandson asleep in my arms in spite of the din and uproar, followed by the delicious quiet when guests go home, as I pad around in my jammies gathering glasses to put in the dishwasher. I get to experience this all...the...time. So I stay pretty happy."


"Last question - what is an easy way to make life more glamorous?"


Me: "To slow down and be deliberate. Hurry and irritation are the surest marks of the amateur. To laugh a little too loud, and to very occasionally yell when you are justifiably angry - because people who don't are educated beyond their ability to be normal. And to embrace humility. Humility is the primary indication of true success. And not that fake modesty crap...I'm talking about the ability to acknowledge your strengths, yet prefer to totally forget about yourself and focus on others."


I love interviewing me. I think I might even do it again sometime. Which proves that, according to me, I am not yet entirely successful, as it is not humble at all to interview oneself. Oh well...I have to write, to know what it is I'm thinking.

2 comments:

ADaughterAbidinginGrace said...

Mom, I love your "self-interview"
For one of your next posts I would love to have the following questions answered...

- I know that you work from lists... what is the next "big" project you'd like to get done in your home?

- What is your vision of the perfect home layout if you could have it done anyway you'd like and why? (I.E. How many bedrooms,
bathrooms, open floor plan or no, would you have a larger laundry room or larger craft room, etc.)

- What would your ideal night out look like?

- What would you do with a million dollars?

Sheila Atchley said...

Dear Daughter,
I am saving your questions, to be another blog post on another day.

I am totally jazzed about being asked these questions - (she wasn't prompted in ANY way by me, I promise!) and am already loving the idea of another "interview" post.

Thanks, Hannah, for taking the time to ask.