Ritual

I have a ritual that makes me happy, in a deep down durable way. I don't need to wake up to transcendent views, or look over my daytimer as I get dressed for my high powered job, or pad about in jammies through my McMansion. All those things are fine, but they wouldn't make my heart sing. They don't even raise one of my eyebrows - no piquing of even a little bit of interest or wonder in my mind. Just give me a cup of coffee, and this...

Me and my grandson, just this morning. (Sorry for the flash, but it is a rainy day here...no natural light to speak of.)

I am one of those grandmommies with the rare privilege of living with her grandson. My daughter and her husband, after being married a year, moved back in with us, so that Justin could complete his internship and Master's degree without having to work a third job. They will be here until he starts teaching Advanced Math full time in the fall.

It's all very joyful, very homey, very "Walton-esque", to be honest with you. You know - all the generations together, under one roof. The way things were when times were simpler and more difficult in some ways, but better in all ways that matter. The days of our grandparents, that greatest generation. Tim and I are almost embarrassed to convey how delightful it is, to play board games in the evening (when we aren't rushing out to youngest son's basketball game), how sweet it is to feed our grandson his bottle once in awhile during the day, and to say goodnight to five dear and near souls every night - each other, our youngest son, our daughter and her husband, and Little Britches.

Every morning, my ritual includes cuddling my teacup poodle, Rambo. Tim usually brings me my coffee about that time. Then, when I hear my grandson stirring, I go and just look at him in his crib. Marveling.

Only this morning, I scooped him up and snapped our picture.

What can I say? It rocks to be me. Four children who know God, two sons-in-love who are Godly and gifted, and now an adorable grandson....who lives with me for now. God has been mindful of me, and has blessed and increased me. My job is to enjoy it.

~Linking to "The Sunday Creative", at the delightful blog of MadelineBea.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love how you said, my job is to enjoy it. That is so true for all of us. :)

Sheila Atchley said...

Hi Joan, thank you for visiting me and taking the time to leave a comment. Enjoy your week! :-)

Susan said...

Yes, dear friend, it is a privilege and a blessing to have our grands under our roofs! There's nothing that makes my life any sweeter than to spend time with my little Lucy. God is good and we are blessed ... Enjoy every moment.

MarieElizabeth said...

Good for you, fantastic ritual!

Unknown said...

Mom,
You look incredible in that picture!

Maegan Beishline said...

What a beautiful ritual! I love seeing close, loving families and families making decisions to be together more! And how fortunate for you and your grandbaby to get to spend so much time together! A treasure for sure!