Today is Special

...because at about 5:30 this morning, I became conscious of New Mercies. (Meaning: I woke up. I didn't get up, but I woke up. There is a world of difference.)

Because this is a Tuesday like no other that has ever been, or ever will be.

Because God does not grow weary because God does not grow bored or indifferent to my ordinary Tuesday. He keeps cramming the day brim-full with tokens of kindness. He is eager to hear and be heard, on this day called Tuesday, May 17th. What in this world does He have to say to me today? Whatever it is, it will be a life giving word. Even His discipline (and oh, have I been receiving it lately!) is because of His love. I'd say I'm in a win-win position.

Tokens of His kindness to me, on this ordinary Tuesday, yet a day like no other:



The Preacher's first appointment wasn't till about 9:30. So he had time to make me a late-ish breakfast.


Big Band Swing on the vintage turntable. And I'm practicing my bokeh. (Google it, if you must...) This is bad bokeh, but bokeh nonetheless.


From where I sit, the world looks like this. (Oh, and that is the galvanized tub we use for ice and drinks for parties. Think Justin's college graduation. Would you believe there are still some cans, sitting in water, in that tub? Of course you would.)



The youngest son is going to appear in court, to try to keep his first speeding ticket off of his driving record. Just keepin' it real. This is his reminder.


The Preacher, making me the perfect cup of morning coffee, with the perfect amount of Bailey's Irish Creamer in it. The creamer, not the hooch. I am not drunk as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day...



"Come to momma..."


The King of the Cottage woke up wanting to play with Poppy, so I set the shutter speed to 5 per second. Good shot, and better bokeh. Can I hear an Amen?



Don't hate on me because I eat gravy and biscuits for breakfast. I live in the south, for crying out loud.


Ignore the mint condition antique typewriter, still in its case. Ignore the Mother's Day cards from husband and children, each one with a long message inside from someone declaring my worth and beauty. Ignore the beautiful painting, a Jonathan Howe original oil, on the wall. What I want you to focus on here, is the sketch in the center. Jonathan sketched Timothy, as a college graduation gift to Justin. It is Justin's picture...I'm just babysitting it. And the real baby, too, come to think of it. (His momma made a quick trip to the store for cookies, just now...)


He caught Timothy's essence, spot on!

I love this baby so much. I'm living a dream I don't deserve and have not earned. Grace, grace, gracegracegrace. Unmerited gifts. I am rolling in them.


This child is always thinking, always curious. Can you see it in his eyes?

This day is full of His mercy, and it isn't even lunch time yet.

Look over your ordinary Tuesday. I promise, you can find extraordinary gifts in it.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

This indeed sounds like a word that I heard on Sunday via ustream, but it spoke to me then and it speaks to me now, thank you for your obediance in speaking what the Lord gives you. Thank you Lord for new mercies on this day. Love you.

Unknown said...

Love, love, love, love, love, love, love,.... x 10000000000000000000

Anonymous said...

I think we shall look back on this day real soon and proclaim that this has been an extra special day from the Lord!

Vickie E

Susan said...

Really needed to see this post today. What a week this ol' Granny's had! But thank God for His new mercies every morning ... and for our grandbabies who make sure we keep life in perspective.

Thank you, my friend, for being God's voice today.

Summer said...

Very busy here as well ....Between Farmers Market Season & my store
opening in June it is hectic but good .... You are so so spot on (unlike your bokeh tee hee ) when you note how we live the life we do not deserve ....Do we always realize this ....NO WAY !! ....This was a good reminder to Praise GOD , Pray More and Be Grateful for every little thing we have ....Rest well ......P.S. How did your son do in court ? Tell him to always wear his seat belt !!