Leadership 101



I'm going to ambitiously say that this post is the first in a series. How often I'll post on leadership (weekly? monthly?) depends on the time available to me, and on the timing of all the other wonderful, enticing ideas I have perculating in my mind to share with you.

But if you want to do a thing - you have to begin it. Just begin it. And so, I begin.

Leadership 101 - Take Your Concerns UP the "Ladder", Not Across the Ladder, and Not Down!


This is just good business - and it works like a charm for church business. If there is some sort of problem, don't vent, question, or otherwise seek to inform anyone who is "under you", for lack of a better way of putting it. Also, do not vent, question, or otherwise seek to inform anyone who is equal to you in the structure of accountability.



Take your concerns UP the ladder of your structure of authority. Better yet, take them to God, and let Him speak to you. Then leave them there.


Always. Always. Always up, not across, not down. To do otherwise is irresponsible at best, and could do irrepairable harm at worst. No leader is exempt from a huge snafu in this area...we each one would do well to take heed to ourselves in this area.


Those below you don't need to take up your offense. They simply don't need to be aware of what isn't their job to solve anyway. Those equal to you don't need your negativity. Your "yadda yadda" and your negative mood is usually temporary, right? (If it is continual, we have a problem of a whole other nature!) Your peers don't need the downer that comes with having to filter, absorb, or in any way feel responsible for your "concerns".


Take that stuff up the chain of command. Take it to someone who can either actually help solve the problem, offer you a perspective you were unaware of, or call you out about your attitude.


Are you actually looking to solve the problem? Are you truly open to a perspective you may not have been seeing up to this point? Or do you just want the cheap affirmation that comes with getting others to share your opinion? If you are of the latter mindset, you really shouldn't even lead a parade, much less an office, a church group, or any part of an organization.


Leaders lead. And great leaders lead in very direct, very positive, very effective ways. Leaders lead for the good of the whole, not for themselves.

1 comment:

Summer said...

Hi Miss Sheila ....I noticed that you are on a most wonderful relaxing vacation .....Vacations are very good for us and you probabaly needed one ..... I could not agree with you more on this post ..... I have learned this lesson all too many times ( especially when I was a tender & new in my faith ) .... It is best to go right to the top with our concerns as going to the side or to the bottom only creates more problems ..... I have not been on my blog for over a month now as I am very busy with my new shoppe and it takes time, energy and enthusiasm to build my business ( plus the fact that I am not 30 y/o any more LOL SHH don't tell any one ) .... And so it feels good to be back on my blog .... Maybe as time goes on and I get more acclimated to my shoppe and I get more helpin my shoppe I will be posting a bit more !!! .... Take care & prayerfully GOD will guide you 2 love birds home !! ...P.S. I truly do enjoy reading your blog !!