A Rant - Passover and the New Covenant

I'm stunned and deeply saddened at the Old Covenant understanding of what is a thoroughly, entirely, and solely New Covenant celebration of the Passion and Resurrection of Jesus.  My blog reading today has grieved me - even my favorite blog (post edit:  I removed the name of this blog out of respect for its writer.  She may not have realized...)

 An Old Covenant understanding is the very opposite of what this Resurrection Thing is meant to communicate. 

No, I am not talking about understanding the Jewish roots of Christianity - though it could be debated that the roots of Christianity are in Christ Alone - He was the plan from before the foundation of the world.

I am not talking about the thoroughly Jewish setting of the Gospel Narrative...I get all that.  Been there, read the books, done the Seders, done the Halakhahs, got the T-shirt, and got me an "A" on the Hebraic Thinking Test.  But all this talk of Old Covenant, as if it somehow makes the resurrection better than it is, all by itself?  All the law-based jargon?  Do we really have to be quite so Jewish to grasp our salvation?

No, we don't.  And it could be...might be...I have at times personally observed it to be....dangerous.  Yes, this whole Passover thing can be dangerous if not viewed through  radically New Covenant eyes.  Read the words of the Apostle Paul, which are, incidentally, also the words of Christ.  The whole Bible should be in red letters, because it is all the words of Jesus, and all about Jesus, the Word become flesh.

At worst, all the Jewish symbolism celebrated by supposedly New Covenant people keeps the lost from seeing the true Gospel (which is the Finished...Finished!...work of Christ).  At best, it is playing with shadows, delighting in symbol over substance.  At worst, all this symbolism engenders an elitist spirituality - blatantly put forth as being sound doctrine.  There is a sad example of this in one of the links on my favorite blog.  The link she promotes takes you to a Jewish roots type of website, where the writer boldly asserts that keeping the law could be what makes us "chosen" in Christ! 

Utter.  Nonsense.  I can't emphasize that enough.  Not.  True.

At best, all this Seder/Passover/Tabernacle/symbolism obscures the real and simple truth:  Christ died for the sins of the world.  (The Methodist church, next road over from me, has a replica of the tabernacle up in their yard.  So I'm not just picking on this one lady, whose blog I normally adore, and promote here all the time.  The tabernacle?  In tarp and cotton and Tyvek?  Puh-leeze.  I'd rather my kid sit on a giant bunny's lap for a cute picture, or hunt for plastic eggs.)

All over blogland, as well meaning parents seek to teach their children the significance of Easter, the Resurrection is either trivialized on one side, or ritualized into Old Covenant oblivion on the other.

On the eve of this most New Covenant of New Covenant celebrations, may I point out that this thing, all along, has been all about Christ, and the Father's securing a bride for the Son?  It all culminates
in a marriage supper, friends.

The Passover depicts the New Covenant, the New Covenant is not about the Passover.  Yes, during Christ's celebration of the Passover, during that holy Seder, it is very possible, even probable, that the Son of God proposed marriage to His bride, down through the ages.  When He said, "This cup is the blood of the New Covenant..." it would have been well known to a practicing Jew that that was a traditional marriage proposal.

Which made communion forevermore a New Covenant sacrament, where you and I get to say "Yes" again and again and again - YES to being the Bride.  YES to having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing - because of the price our Groom paid to obtain us.  He fulfilled the law on our behalf, so that the stain and spot of sin could be blotted out, the wrinkles of our failures smoothed by the pressing heat of His Great Love.

Once, for all time.  His work is Finished, and if you look at that picture up there, you are looking at a small part of what it was all about.  I know this, I think, deeper than I know my own name.


The most appropriate way in the universe to observe and keep and celebrate the Resurrection is to tomorrow be with The Bride, also known as your local church - not playing in the shadows at some Seder somewhere, earlier in the week.  Not playing with symbols long been retired - but rather, go be with the Lamb's bride, celebrating the substance of the Passover, and relishing the freedom from sin's dark stain, freedom from wrong's inherent wrinkles! 

The Bride.  No spot.  No wrinkle.  No "any such thing".  Why?  Because she stands In Christ Alone.  Christ died to have her.  His blood has (past tense) washed her clean.  And don't you call unclean or irrelevant or "too much trouble to fool with" the very thing Christ gave the ultimate price to treasure and have.

The Passover is about the New Covenant.  The New Covenant is not about the Passover.

10 comments:

Liz Overton said...

Amen! Preach it!

Unknown said...

Why on earth would I be found minimizing what Christ Alone has done by focusing on ANY OTHER THING? It is in Christ ALONE that we are made right with God. There is no other way - not by law, not by works, not by being in the right family or saying the right words. Thank you, Sheila, for not minimizing my Lord and Savior on this most important of days - the day upon which we celebrate victory over darkness, death, hell and the grave! WE didn't defeat any of those things - Jesus Christ did that through His death. I will maximize Him - I will speak highly of Him - I will esteem Him above all else! Thank you for doing the same!

Unknown said...

Love it :)... Give me the NEW COVENANT RESURRECTION and VICTORY in JESUS anyday!!!

MrsWendy said...

Amen! Amen!! AMEN!!!!

Sheila Atchley said...

Maria, YES, it is Christ and His sacrifice alone that makes us right. I loved everything you said..."Why on earth??" Yes, my friend. Why would we?

Hannah, SING those victory songs, girrrrrrl! :-)

Liz, thank you! I think I shall preach it.

Wendy, may I add one more "Amen" to your three? ACK!

Thanks, everyone. I think God loves it when His girls stand up to such UNsound doctrine, point our fingers in love and warning, and say, "Oh no you di'int just say all that!" :-)

Anonymous said...

JESUS is RISEN !
He is RISEN, IN.DEED. !!!

Why would I want to go back to Egypt when I have a place at the Banquet Table?

THANK YOU, dearest Sheila, for preaching and teaching the truth of the WORD, start to FINISH.

Jame said...

AMEN SIS!!! VICTORY!!!!

Anonymous said...

Such truth!! Love it, Sheila! Soooo very thankful for the NEW covenant that saves and frees us!! Thank you, Jesus!

Megan C.

Sue said...

In Christ Alone I take my stand. Before the foundation of the world, God chose me in Christ to be HIS...and HIS ALONE. I no longer need "types and shadows" Jesus is their total and complete fulfillment. "It is finished" is what he said from the cross, for me to seek "any other way" is to call the Saviour a liar. GOD FORBID! He is Risen, It is finished, His blood sacrifice has been accepted by the Father...We have need of nothing more!

Robin in New Jersey said...

Thank you Sheila!

I know a Pastor, who grew up in an orthodox Jewish home and got saved when he was invited to go to VBS with his best friend. He came to our church and gave his testimony and then he explained in detail all the parts of the Passover dinner and how it all points to Jesus. It was fascinating. However, he doesn't advocate celebrating it today because Jesus died to save us from all those rituals!