Cooking for Two - Another Delicious Recipe {...from the cookbook "One Pan, Two Plates"...}

The Preacher and I are happy empty nesters.  However, I do confess that going from cooking (pretty much) every night for anywhere between 6 and 12 people, to cooking for only TWO people...

...well let's just say there were lots of leftovers.  For a long time.

Then, I mastered the art of cooking for two.  I don't cook every night, like I used to when the kids were all living at home, but when I do cook - I often use the cookbook One Pan, Two Plates.





{please do Pin the picture above...I'd be delighted.}


Rarely do I ever feel like I have struck gold when I buy a cookbook.  But I did, when I bought this one:


Find it here.

Tonight, I made the "Braised Chicken Thighs with Wild Rice, Walnuts, and Grapes".

Delicious.  Here are the main ingredients, besides the chicken thighs:



5 or 6 skinless chicken thighs (boneless if you'd like)
1 TB olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 celery stalk, sliced (I do two - I love me some celery)
1/2 C wild and brown rice blend
1 tsp. dried thyme
1C beef broth
1C halved seedless grapes (recipe calls for red - I use what I have)
1/2 C chopped walnuts
2 tsp. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
...I do not consider a glass of wine while cooking as optional...but I suppose it is.


{I am going to share it here with you, in several "video shorts", exactly as I will next share it on my Instagram, so be sure to follow for more like this:}

First, throw coarse salt on 5-6 chicken thighs, and brown them in the olive oil, about 3 minutes each side...




Then, you remove the chicken from your beautiful turquoise pot (or cast iron skillet, which truthfully, I usually use.  All the cold and snow we've had here put me in the mood for the pop-of-color cast iron enamel pot!)

Anyhoo, remove the chicken to a plate, and set the plate in a warmer or in your oven on its absolute  lowest temp...the chicken isn't done.  You are just keeping it warm while you sauté your veggies and wild rice (and thyme) in all that goodness that the chicken left behind...






Let me try to show you how brown I want the bottom of your pot to be, okay?

This brown (look below)!



Once the rice begins to smell toasted and the veggies begin to soften, pour in your cup of beef broth.  This deglazes your pan so nicely...

I want you to pretend like you are cleaning your pan with the tip of your wooden spatula!  Don't think "Dirty pan, ew!"...look at all that brown and think, "Delicious.  I am so about to deglaze you, you beautiful brown stuff..."



Next, you cover all that, turn your heat down to medium low, and simmer the veggies and wild rice and broth for 20 minutes (yes, your chicken is still in the warmer)...




After 20 minutes is up, add your chicken back in, cover, and simmer on low for 20 more minutes.  After your second 20 minutes is up, taste the rice for doneness, and add more coarse salt and a few grinds of peppercorn, to taste.  Garnish with the parsley, if you like.  We didn't have any, so I didn't bother.

Lastly, you better plate this stuff up - because your husband will be feeling impatient by now - it smells so good, you would not believe!



Enjoy!



No comments: